P.F. Cusack approached Ross Atkin and myself to help develop a unique solution that encompassed a road works management system with live digital signage and support for blind users to navigate around sites through Sight Line.
StreetWorks.info delivers on this brief by marrying Bluetooth iBeacons with physical signage and a suite of mobile and web apps.
Physical signs are attached to the ends of road works on barriers.
They consist of 3 key elements:
- A protruding directional arrows and crosses – indicating to blind and partially sighted which direction to travel or to stop.
- An embedded Bluetooth iBeacon – broadcasts sign details for Sight Line mobile app (blind/partially sighted users) to navigate users and StreetWorks.info mobile app to load branded road works details.
- QR Code – can be scanned by any device to load branded road works details.Physical signs use tactile feedback (protruding directional arrows and crosses) to assist blind and partially sighted users to feel the signs.
For the head office of the organisation, StreetWorks.info Admin provides a website to manage the road works workflow and organisation settings. They can:
- Manage sub-contractors
- Update branding – logos, colours etc
- Import their catalogue of road works types e.g. pipe work
- Remotely manage sites
- Be notified of expiring road works
Road Works Engineers
When deploying sites, road works engineers are equipped with the Street Works Log iOS and Android apps.
Engineers scan the QR Code of each sign, select the layout of the road works, what type of road works are being carried out and the end date.
At any time the information can be updated via the app or website.When road works come to an end, engineers are notified to collect the barriers and signs.
For the general public to check to road works information they have 2 options:
- The StreetWorks.info iOS or Android app – will use Bluetooth to detect nearby road works or they can enter the sign’s unique code unique code e.g. 1-2-12345.
- StreetWorks.info website.
Blind and Partially Sighted Users
StreetWorks.info integrates directly with Sight Line. All sites are instantly added and updated on the Sight Line system to provide blind and partially sighted users with the ability to easily navigate road works.